About Open Data Naperville
The City of Naperville is committed to the use of data and evidence to improve services, inform local decision-making and engage residents. Guided by our participation in the national What Works Cities initiative, we have contracted with Socrata for our open data portal, which provides the public with raw data in addition to a dashboard monitoring the progress of our performance management goals.
The underlying goal of any open data endeavor is to break down traditional silos and provide access to data both internally and externally. This will result in efficiencies, problem solving and greater transparency.
It is the availability and use of this open data that will bring our organization closer to improved services and more informed decision-making. Its public availability will improve transparency, engage residents and encourage innovation. It will make the City a smarter, more open and increasingly efficient organization for the benefit of residents and businesses.
Naperville’s performance management goals were developed to move the City forward in the four ends policies areas that outline a long-term vision for the organization. Approved by the City Council in May 2016, Naperville's ends policies are:
- Public Safety - Naperville will deliver highly responsive emergency services to provide for a safe community.
- High Performing Government - Naperville will provide reliable, efficient, and high-quality services.
- Economic Development - Naperville will be the location of choice for businesses.
- Financial Stability - Naperville will be financially stable and maintain a AAA bond rating.
The City's performance management goals explained in this portal mirror the ends policies areas and address inefficiencies in the City’s operations or opportunities for growth in service delivery. Notably, these goals can be measured by data.
How to use Open Data Naperville
- View Socrata's video guides
- See what others are looking at through analytics
In the months ahead, we’ll be continually adding datasets and stories to this portal. As part of our collaborative process, we invite you to participate in the evolution of the catalog by suggesting a dataset and by sharing some of the creative ways you use this resource.